Ms. Angela Joo-Hyun Kang, Founder and Executive President of Global Competitiveness Empowerment Forum (GCEF) was invited as a moderator of the break-out session 'Women 20 (W20): Women's Economic Empowerment of G20 Countries' of 2019 Asian Leadership Conference, hosted by the Chosunilbo, the top newspaper of Republic of Korea, which many Presidents, Prime Ministers, and Ministers of the States were past speakers, with attendance of more than 3,500 participants every year. The W20 session was prepared by GCEF as a knowledge partner of the Chosunilbo with the Future of Women’s Leadership session.
Ms. Kang has been active as a South Korean W20 delegate during 2017 German, 2018 Argentine, and 2019 Japanese G20 presidency years. She shared success and achievements of W20, an official global policy engagement of G20 for women's economic empowerment with internatinoal speakers from Turkey, China, and Japan, who are past Chair, current Co-Chair, and the representative of host organiztions W20.
* Event: The 10th Asian Leadership Conference 2019
* Time: 17:30-18:30, Tue. May 14, 2019 (The 1st day of the Conference)
* Venue: Meeting Room 4 Emerald Hall, Shilla Hotel, Seoul, South Korea
* Conference Theme: “The World at a Crossroads: Searching for Concrete Solution”
* Session: Business & Leadership 2020 Track - W20: Women's Economic Empowerment of G20 Countries
* Host: The Chosunilbo
* Knowledge Partner: Global Competitiveness Empowerment Forum (GCEF)
* Speakers: Dr. Gülden Türktan (President of International Women’s Forum (IWF) / Founding Chair of W20 of G20 & Chair of 2015 W20 Turkey Presidency), Ms. Lin Zhang (Staff of the Liaison Department of All-China Women's Federation), and Dr. Yoriko Meguro (Professor Emeritus, Sophia University / Co-Chair of 2019 W20 Japan Presidency)
* Further information:
http://alcchosun.com/eng/Contents.asp?LoadPage=Program (session speaker and agenda)
http://alcchosun.com/?c=user&bbs_cate=0001&ln=en&mcd=en_sub06_10_03&bbs_mode=bbs_view&bbs_idx=3217&bbs_page=2 (session photos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiXpVvIlk8A (ALC highlight video)
[W20 Session: Women's Economic Empowerment of G20 Countries]
Synopsis: Women 20 (W20) is a transnational network that brings together women leaders of business, entrepreneurship ventures, think tanks, and civil society, as one of the official policy engagement groups of Group 20 (G20), representing more than 80% of the global GDP.
Incepted in Australia, throughout G20 Turkish, Chinese, German, Argentine, and Japanese presidencies, it has influenced the agenda of the decision-making bodies of G20 and impacted public and private policies to increase women’s economic empowerment of G20 countries.
Annually, W20 prepares and submits the W20 communiqué each year to the state leader of a G20 presidency country, as the list of policy recommendations through online and offline dialogues among delegates of G20 countries as well as experts from content partners and international organizations in various topics, such as labor inclusion, digital equality, financial equity, rural development, and governance etc.
1. What were the key highlights and achievements of each year? What are differentiating characteristics of W20, compared with other global gender policy platforms?
2. What are significant global challenges for gender equality in G20 countries? How could G20 and W20 address those challenges?
3. What is the biggest challenge for gender equality in each country? How does each country endeavor to improve it? How have G20 and W20 helped or would they be helpful for it?