Ms. Angela Joo-Hyun Kang, Founder and Executive President of Global Competitiveness Empowerment Forum (GCEF), has been serving as the Korea/Seoul Chapter Lead of the Harvard Kennedy School Women's Network (HKSWN) and the Inaugural Chair of HKSWN Korea Chapter since 2020. HKSWN Korea Chapter hosted the 3rd Women's Empowerment Seminar on January 9, 2023 on the theme of “Women and DE&I (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)” by inviting Professor Soojin KANG, School of Law of Korea University & Outside Director of LG Electronics who is an alumna of Harvard Law School. South Korean law requires all listed companies with assets of 2 trillion won (USD 1.5 billion) or more must include at least one woman in the composition of the board of directors due to the revision of the Capital Market Act, enacted from August 2022.
Harvard Kennedy School Women's Network (HKSWN) is a female alumnae association, at the main campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, established in 2017, advocating gender equality, operating 40 chapters in 26 countries, and closely collaborating with Harvard Alumni Association (HAA). As Co-head of the South Korean Delegation to Women 20 (W20), an official policy engagement group for women's empowerment to G20, Ms. Kang bridged W20 and HKSWN by curating, organizing, and moderating a Global Coffee Chat event, hosted by HKSWN in 2020 by inviting W20 Sherpa of the Saudi Arabian Presidency Secretariat and the W20 session of the HKSWN Rewind & Empower Conference, hosted by HKSWN in 2021 by inviting W20 Sherpa of the Italian Presidency Secretariat.
Established in 2020, the KHKSWN Korea Chapter has been hosting a women's empowerment seminar series to reflect gender lens to the fields of expertise of Harvard alumnae and alumni since 2021. The 1st seminar speakers were Harvard Kennedy School alumnae, Prof. Minah Kang of Ewha University on women and international development and Ms. Yuri Chung, CEO of Cretum on women and leadership and the 2nd seminar speakers were former UN Ambassador Joon Oh for the congratulatory remark and Harvard Graduate School of Education alumna and alum, Ms. Margaret Park, former Assistant Principal of Elementary School, Seoul Foreign School (SFS) on women and racial diversity and intersectionality and Mr. Casey Lartique Jr. Co-Founder and Co-President of Freedom Speakers International on women and human rights in North Korea.
• Event: The 3rd Women's Empowerment Seminar
• Host: Korea Chapter of Harvard Kennedy School Women's Network (HKSWN Korea Chapter)
• Topic: Women and DE&I (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
• Format: Offline event
• Time: 7-9 pm, January 9, 2023
• Venue: Conference House Dalgaebi, Seoul, South Korea
• Sponsor: MBK Partners
• Speaker: Professor Soojin KANG, School of Law of Korea University & Outside Director of LG Electronics (Graduated from Seoul Law School and Harvard Law School, Former prosecutor and lawyer at Logos and Yulchon, and Member of the Sentencing Committee of Supreme Court, Supreme Prosecutor’s Office, Fair Trade Commission, the Prime Minister’s Office, etc.)
• Attendees: Alumnae and alumni of Harvard Kennedy School, Business School, Law School, Design School, and Graduate School of Education
• HKSWN website: https://www.hkswomensnetwork.com